The purpose of the Association for the Improvement of Minorities is to educate and develop our members to their fullest career and personal potential, and instill in them the highest degree of confidence in their abilities; in a manner that is free from negative influence and discriminatory policies and practices. To achieve that purpose, we will:
|A.||Educate and Counsel our members as to opportunities for career and personal advancement;|
|B.||Foster Equal Employment Opportunity;|
|C.||Provide a Self-Help Network to further the general welfare of our members;|
|D.||Promote local and community wide services that assist individuals seeking career and educational support;|
|E.||Cooperate with all government agencies and other organizations in taking lawful actions to ensure the removal of discriminatory policies and practices.|
AIM-IRS had an outstanding time at the 47th Annual Business
Meeting & Training Seminar in the ATL. This was our 1st
modified conference. Though it may have been shorter in the
number of days, the impact was TREMENDOUS!!!
We did what was needed to handle business during the National Board Meeting and the Annual Business meeting. There were several updates (see some below). We especially had a great time hearing the activities from the regions. Felicia Thompkins, RVP of the Southeast region, set the stage and we continued to climb from there. Please know that we are doing some wonderful things in all the regions. Make sure you get involved.
Then we were enlightened by the top brass on the keys to effective preparation to go "Beyond the Limits". Joyce Williams & Sherry Brockman, Jim Rogers & Felicia Trevillion, and the panel of Jim Rogers, Denise Vaughn & Rick Byrd combined data, realism, humor & motivation that left memorable impressions on all that attended.
We would like to thank all those who planned, presented, organized, participated and supported in any way. We thank the staff of the Atlanta Airport Marriott Gateway and the vendors who came out. A special thanks to Tina Younger, Atlanta Chapter President for being the critical 'go to' person that ensured this conference's success.
News from the Annual Business Meeting
1) This year's souvenir book is presented in an eBook format. Annette Baldwin has done an excellent job with this new format. Check it out!!! (This file is large (16MB). It will take some time to download)
2) The 2015 CFC allocations have been provided. Please contact your RVP to determine your allotment. Also, the 2014 funds requests need to be finalized no later than 12/31/2016.
3) We did not come to an agreement on a designated national fundraising activity. But we are strongly encouraging each chapter/region to implement efforts that will help meet our 2016/2017 fundraising goal of roughly $13,500.
4) The GS-7 & Below, Modestine Haynes & Shirley Ray scholarships have implemented a limitation of 3 times to receive the scholarship. For the Modestine Haynes & Shirley Ray, this is a combined total.
5) Chapter of the Year submissions will be by eBook only, beginning in 2017.
6) Congratulations to our newly elected National Officers - Ja Rita Johnson was elected National President and James Kent as National Sr. Vice President. Congratulations to both of you! We are excited about the vision and direction of the J & J Coalition towards our 50th Anniversary.
It is with deep sorrow that we inform the AIM family that London J. Storey, son of Philadelphia Chapter President, Nurel Storey, lossed his battle with cancer in the early morning of November 22nd. Nurel and his family wants to thank you for the prayers and words of comfort that you expressed throughout London's fight.
London's Celebration of
Life will be held on December 2.2016 at
1pm at the
DeBaptiste Funeral Home
600 East Market St
West Chester. PA. 19382
All cards and condolences
can be sent to
P. 0 BOX 283
Glenolden, PA 19036
The family has requested that in lieu of flowers, etc., please make a donation, in London's honor, to the Sarcoma Foundation of America or American Cancer Society.
Check it out!!!
We have added 3 new sections to the website!
(1) The President's Corner - This will be a bi-monthly blurb from our National President. It will communicate the current focus, direction and opportunities that our organization is facing. This is the spot where you always know what direction your leadership is charting.
(2) AIM Works! - We have a lot of things happening in the careers of our members. This is the spot to highlight those accomplishments. See who's getting promoted! Find out who is truly moving and shaking! This way you can really see how AIM-IRS is benefiting their members in respect to their careers. If you want your accomplishment featured, email our web team.
(3) You can DONATE now! - Now directly donating to the organization is just a click away. The button below uses PayPal to facilitate your donation. There is no fee and you do not need a PayPal account.
There is more coming!!
We are working on getting you ready for the 2017 ABMTS. Check for more updates soon.
Congratulations to the National Awards
- Wyatt Trent - Linda Dyer (Midwest)
- Bobby Wyche - Gloria Gibson (Southwest)
- EEO Meritorious - Arlene Goode (Southwest)
There were no GS-7 & Below
Award applicants / recipients
Congratulations to the Modestine Haynes
- Melody Duncan - Western
Congratulations to the Shirley Ray
Scholarship recipients (13)
- Charisma V. Davis - Midwest
- Nathan Givens - Southeast
- Brandi Holt - Southeast
- Reana Johnson - Southeast
- Melanie Jones -
- Dr. Colleen Keeton - Southeast
- Ervin Moore III - Southwest
- Jordan Patrick - Southeast
- Joseph Patrick - Southeast
- Jadea R. Sanford - Southeast
- QuaDra Shanks - Southeast
- Camilla Tealer - Southwest
- Roberta D. Williams - Southwest
Chapter of the Year
1st Place - Atlanta Chapter
2nd Place - Houston Chapter
3rd place - Cincinnati Srvc Ctr Chapter
Congratulations to our new Regional Reps
- Tammye Butler - Southeast
- Erika Dawson - Central
- Mimi Orr-Tubbs - Midwest
- Derek Ganter - Western
Congratulations to our new RVPs
- Gwenda Carter-Louis - Central